Saturday, August 4, 2007

Sergio Aguero has been named the Player of the Tournament at the Under-20 World Cup in Canada.

Aguero On Cloud Nine


Sergio Aguero has been named the Player of the Tournament at the Under-20 World Cup in Canada.

Fresh from scoring one of the goals in the 2-1 victory over the Czech Republic which saw the Albicelestes clinch their sixth title, the Atletico Madrid striker won the Golden Ball as the best player. He was also the tournament top-scorer with 6 goals.

"This day means everything to me. No doubt about it, it's the happiest feeling in the world," he said. "What more could I ask for? I've won the world title with Argentina, that doesn't happen every day!"

Before returning to Spain for a second season in La Liga the Argentine beamed, "This title gives me the opportunity to go back to my club side (Atletico) and hope that things continue to go well. Let's see what happens from now on.

"When I arrived here I said my dream was to become world champion and be voted best player. Now, having achieved that, I'm incredibly happy," he said with two individual trophies in his arms.

The second, the Adidas Golden Shoe came courtesy of his finishing the tournament as top scorer after netting twice against Panama, once against Korea, twice against Poland and also in the Final against the Czechs.

"If I had to choose my best one, then it would have to be today's. It may not have been that spectacular, but it came in a final, and there's nothing to compare with that.

“For that reason it was the most beautiful, and it was fundamental to our winning the title," says the player who, with two individual awards, has matched the feats of Lionel Messi at Netherlands 2005, even down to the number of goals scored.

Previous winners of the Under 20 World Cup Golden Ball include Diego Maradona (1979), Lionel Messi (2005) of Argentina, and Yugoslavia's Robert Prosinecki (1987).

No comments: